The Hairy Bikers have a great series of diet books, filled with healthy recipes and this Doner Kebab recipe is one from the ‘Eat for Life’ book.
It uses a combination of lamb mince (I used mince with 20% fat content) and lamb leg steaks as the main meat for the kebab. Combined with the spices it really does taste like the takeaway version.
Once cooked it’s then up to you how you serve it. I served mine with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber and pickled chilli with some West Indian hot pepper sauce.
The kebab was really enjoyed by the whole family and I personally prefer this recipe to the takeaway version.
BBQ Doner Kebab
- 200 g Lean Lamb Leg Steaks
- 200 g Lamb Mince
- ½ Medium Onion
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Angus & Oink Shawarma Rub (optional)
- Start by trimming any excess fat off your lamb leg steaks and cut them into 3cm chunks (I actually bought pre-diced lamb). Place the lamb leg and lamb mince in a food processor with all the other ingredients. Blitz until you have a nice smooth mixture.
- Layout some clingfilm on your work surface and then remove the meat mixture from the food processor. Shape the mixture into a thick cylindrical shape and place on the clingfilm. Wrap the clingfilm tightly around your meat and place in the fridge for 4 hours. This will help the meat set and hold it’s shape when cooking.
- Set your BBQ up for indirect cooking and try to get the temperature to 180-200°C. I also added some cherry wood chunks for added smoke. Unwrap your meat mixture and carefully place on the indirect side of the BBQ.
- Cook your Doner Kebab until the internal temperature gets to 75°C. This took me around 1 hour. Whilst your kebab is cooking prepare all your sides and garnishes.
- Once cooked remove your kebab from the BBQ. I let mine sit for 5 minutes whilst I warmed the pittas on the direct area of the grill. Once cooked remove, slice them over and fill with your salad/garnishes. Slice your meat thinly and fill you pitta with the freshly sliced kebab meat. Finally. add your chilli sauce or other chosen sauce.