Scallops on the BBQ
Scallops aren’t everybody’s cup of tea. Personally, I love them. They are a real treat and a healthy treat at that. If you get good scallops they can be so sweet, although you need to be careful about how you cook them. Overcook them and they will become tough and chewy. This can really put people off cooking Scallops as they can be difficult to get right.
I have done some reading on whether an undercooked Scallop is safe to eat. The consensus seems to be if they are of good quality, you can actually eat them raw.
Whilst they are great on their own, there are lots of different foods you can pair with Scallops. I love this combination of black pudding and pancetta as none of the flavours overpower the sweetness of the Scallops.
Preparation and the Cook
I used the Char-Broil Professional 4600S to cook all the components for this dish.
I started by getting the temperature of the BBQ to 180°C. Once up to temp I cooked 4 slices of Pancetta first. it cooks really quickly so be careful. Once crisped up, I removed them and kept warm in a warming draw.
Next, I added the sliced Black Pudding and grilled it on both sides before cooking the Scallops in the Petromax Skillet. These were done with a small amount or Rapeseed Oil and finished off with butter before plating up.
Add the slices of Black Pudding to the plate, place the Scallops on top and then lay the crispy Pancetta onto the Scallops.
This dish is so simple to make and looks and tastes great. The sweet Scallops go so well with the Black Pudding, and the Pancetta adds a little saltiness. The three main ingredients just work so well together.
BBQ Scallops with Black Pudding and Pancetta
- 2 Slices Pancetta
- 8 Scallops
- 8 Slices Black Pudding
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter (optional)
- Set your BBQ up with a direct and indirect zone. Start by directly grilling the Pancetta slices and once they start to crisp up, remove them and keep them warm.
- Slice the Black Pudding, and then as you take the Pancetta off the BBQ add the Black Pudding to the indirect area of the BBQ. You will need to grill them for around 5 minutes on each side.
- At the same time you start cooking your Black Pudding, add the cast-iron skillet to the direct area of the BBQ. Add the Rapeseed Oil to the skillet, and get it nice and hot.
- After 5 minutes, turn over the Black Pudding. At the same time add the Scallops to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, turn them over and then add the butter to the pan (if using). Cook for a further 1-2 minutes depending on the size of your Scallops.
- Remove the Scallops and Black Pudding and plate up. First, put the Black Pudding on the plate, place the Scallops on top and then lie the crispy Pancetta on the Scallops. Finally, spoon some of the butter you cooked the Scallops in, over the dish.