Day 15: Back to Senegal Again
Day 15 of the World Cup of BBQ sees another cook from Senegal, the 3rd of the tournament. For this cook from Senegal, I decided to do a Chicken Yassa cook again, but this time put a little spin on it and have it as a breakfast wrap. So today’s cook is Chicken Yassa Breakfast Wrap.
I am a huge fan of hot and spicy food in the mornings. It really does wake up the taste-buds. This dish is very much inspired by Breakfasr Tacos which I first experienced iu Austin, Texas.
Preparation and the Cook
For the base recipe I used the ingredients from the Chicken Yassa cook I did earlier in the tournament.
After marinating the chicken in the fridge overnight, I took it out about 1 hour before I wanted to start cooking and then proceeded to light my BBQ. Again, I decided to use the Aldi Kamado for this cook. Once the temperature was at 200°C, I started the cook.
The method to cook the chicken was different in that I used the Russian Skewers to cook them on the BBQ. Once they were ready I added the deflector plate and then the Alex Pole Searing Plate. Once heated through I cooked the scrambled egg, before warming through the wraps and putting everything together.
I really liked the Chicken Yassa the first time around in its ‘traditional’ format. This Chicken Yassa Breakfast Wrap was equally as good (if not more so). Again, it had a lovely amount of heat and really did wake up the taste-buds. It went perfectly with my morning coffee.
I also made the sauce a little thicker this time, which was then great spooned over the egg and chicken. This one will be getting cooked again!!
Chicken Yassa Breakfast Wraps
Marinating the Chicken
- 4 Chicken Thighs (skin and bone removed)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Onion (finely diced)
- 1 Rind from a Lemon
- 1 Juice from a Lemon
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract
- 1 Rind from Lime
- 1 Juice from a Lime
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Red Chilli (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the Chicken in a food blender and pulse until you have a smooth paste.
- Dice the Chicken Thighs and place into a bowl. I usually slice the thighs into 3 pieces which means I get pretty good size pieces, which are easy to skewer. Pour over the blended sauce and mix well.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, but ideally overnight.
- Around 30 minutes before you want to start cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge and add to your skewer.
- Set your BBQ up for direct cooking. I aim to get the temp between 200°C and 250°C. If you are cooking on a kettle set it up with 2 zones. If your chicken looks like it is cooking too quickly you can move the skewers to the indirect area.
- The chicken will take around 16 minutes to cook. I rotate mine every 4 minutes. I would recommend checking the internal temperature with a Instant-read thermometer before removing your chicken.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, add the marinade to a pan and heat gently heat through. If it gets too thick add a little water.
- When your chicken is cooked, remove from the BBQ and wrap in foil to keep warm, whilst you cook your scrambled egg and warm your wraps.
- Next cook your scrambled egg. You cook just do this inside but I did mine on the BBQ using a searing plate.
- Finally, warm through your wrap. I did mine on the BBQ for 30 seconds each side.
- Now for the plating. Place your scrambled egg on the wrap and top with the chicken. Spoon over the warmed through marinade and then optionally add some sliced red chilli. Enjoy!!