I am not massively experienced at creating my own sauces. I have cooked a few BBQ sauce recipes from cookbooks and also did a red pepper and chilli one a few months back, which I was pretty impressed with.
The Preparation and Cook
This sauce only has a few ingredients. It is basically a case of slowly adding each ingredient over medium heat and slowly letting the sauce cook. I did need to tweak things as I went along, but was pleased with this one. I made sure that I wrote down the ingredients as I went and amended the volumes as I was tweaking.
I was really pleased with this sauce and it definitely got the thumbs up from my guests. You could taste the cola in the sauce, which I was obviously looking for. It was quite sweet but had a nice little hint of heat, which slowly built after a while.
I will definitely be making more of this!
Cola BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Lizano (or Worcestershire Sauce)
- 6 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Jack 'n' Cola Rub
- 1 bottle Coca-Cola Signature Mixer
- Start off over a medium heat and add the Tomato Sauce, Mustard and Lizano to the pan and mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next add the sugar, Jack ‘n’ Cola rub and half the bottle of the Coca-Cola Signature Mixer. Stir well and allow to thicken.
- Once the sauce starts to thicken add a little more of the Cola mixer. Stir and again allow to thicken. Repeat this until all the mixture is gone.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Allow the mixture to fully cool and then place it in a jar or bottle and stick it in the fridge until you are ready to use.