North African Influence
I really like the flavours of North African and Mediterranean food, so I bought a number of different spices from Steenbergs to have a bit of a ‘play’. The first one I decided to go for was a Chermoula spice blend.
Chermoula is a marinade and relish used in North African cooking. Typically it is made up of garlic, cumin, coriander, oil, lemon juice, and salt.
The Steenbergs spice blend melds the earthy tastes of organic cumin and turmeric with the sweetness of organic paprika and some classic Mediterranean herbs. Having a taste of this I decided it would be great with chicken.
Preparation and Cook
I mixed all the ingredients together and then marinated the chicken for around 4 hours. I de-boned and took the skin off the chicken before placing in the marinade. You don’t have to do this but I just think it makes it a bit easier to eat once cooked.
I set the BBQ up with 2 zones as always. Although I planned to cook the chicken thighs direct, it is always a good idea to have 2 zones, which helps in managing the cook.
Whilst the BBQ was coming up to cooking heat, I prepped the salad. I started by toasting the pistachios and then have them a good ‘whizz’ in a food processor, before mixing with the sliced gem lettuce, feta and dressing.
I thoroughly enjoyed this meal. The orange flavour was not as pronounced on the chicken as I would have liked. I think marinating overnight would help infuse the flavours a little more. However, the flavour combination in general with the nutty pistachio salad worked really well. Definitely a keeper!!!
Grilled Orange Chicken Thighs with Pistachio Salad
Orange Chicken Thighs
- 4 Chicken Thighs (skin and bone removed)
- 1 tsp Orange Blossom Essence
- 1 tsp Chermoula Spice Blend
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- ½ Orange Juiced
- 1 Orange Rind
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- ¼ tsp Thyme (dried)
- 100 g Pistachios
- 1 Gem Lettuce
- 1 Orange
- 50 g Feta Cheese
- ¼ cup Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- ¼ cup White Wine Vinegar
- Mix together the Orange Blossom Essence, Chermoula, Cumin, Olive Oil, Orange Juice, Orange Rind, Garlic, and Thyme together and mix well to form your marinade. Pour over the chicken and allow to marinate for a minimum of 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- About an hour before you want to cook remove the meat from the fridge. Light your BBQ and set up for 2 zone cooking. Whilst your BBQ is coming up to speed make the Pistachio Salad.
- Start by toasting the Pistachios. I did them for around 5 minutes before chopping them in a food processor, Slice the Gem lettuce into 1-inch strips and add to a bowl. Dice your feta and add to the bowl with the lettuce and add the pistachios. Peel your Orange and split out the Orange segments then cut them in half and add to the bowl. Finally, combine the Olive Oil and White Wine Vinegar together and then add to the bowl. Toss all the ingredients together and set to one side.
- Next, cook your chicken. Add to the direct area of the BBQ and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Keep the marinade as you can brush it over the chicken as you are cooking it. Use a instant-read thermometer to check the internal temp. You are looking for a temperature of 75°C.
- Once ready take the chicken off the BBQ and allow them to rest for a few minutes. Add the salad to your plate, slice the chicken and place on top of the pistachio salad and enjoy!!!