Day 5: Korean Chicken Wings Anybody?
Day 5 of the World Cup of BBQ saw us move to Southeast Asia to do a cook from South Korea. I haven’t had Chicken Wings for a while so decided on doing Korean Chicken Wings.
Preparation and the Cook
First thing to do on this cook was to light the BBQ. Again, I went for the Aldi Kamado with the deflector plate. I do find the Kamado so easy to cook on.
Whilst the BBQ was coming up to cooking temperature, I prepared the Chicken Wings. I like cutting the wings up in wingettes and drumettes, after which I covered in the flour based rub.
When the BBQ was ready, I cooked the wings for around 15 minutes turning once. They really did start to crisp up nicely. Next, I removed them and put on a steel skillet (cast-iron also works) and added some of The Smokey Carter Korean BBQ sauce, adding the wings back in and liberally covering in the sauce. I cooked like this for around 5 minutes and then removed.
The final step was to sprinkle with Spring Onion and Sesame Seeds.
Chicken Wings are always a favourite, but covered with this sweet, spicy, sticky sauce they were a winner. I had a dozen of these but could have just kept eating them. The sauce from The Smokey Carter is really worth trying.
Korean Chicken Wings
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Japanese Shichimi Togarashi
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru)
- 4 tbsp Korean BBQ Sauce
- 2 Spring Onions (Sliced)
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Mix together the Flour, Baking Soda, Brown Sugar, Ginger, Garlic, Salt, Onion Powder, Shichimi Togarashi and Red Pepper Powder in a bowl.
- Dip the Chicken Wings into the mix making sure you coat them well. Place to one side.
- Light the BBQ and get the temperature to around 200°C. Cook Chicken Wings indirectly for 15 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. You may want to add a wood chunk or chips for added smoke.
- Add a steel or cast-iron skillet to the direct side of the BBQ and add the Korean BBQ Sauce. Let the sauce get to the point when it starts to sizzle and then add the Chicken Wings stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the BBQ and place the Chicken Wings in a bowl and sprinkle with the Sesame Seeds and Spring Onion!!