I very rarely cook desserts on the BBQ. This Marshmallow Stuffed Cookie Dough is definitely one I will be doing again. It was an idea suggested by @onlyslaggin so all the credit for this one needs to go to him.
The Preparation and Cook
I recently got sent the Petromax Sandwich Iron and had tried cooking sandwiches in it which worked really well. When I tried to do this cook previously, I used my Weber GBS. I had put the Sandwich Iron in the coals but think the temperature was far too hot. Just laying the Sandwich Iron on the grate or on top of the coals would be fine.
For this cook, I used the OONI Pro. I got the temperature to around 250°C, switched the door to the pizza oven door and then put the Sandwich Iron into heat up. Whilst it was heating up I prepared the cookie dough by rolling and it out before slicing it in half.
After 10 minutes, I removed the Sandwich Iron and laid a sheet of cookie dough on the bottom and top parts of the Sandwich Iron. I then added some mini-marshmallows to the bottom part and then closed the Sandwich Iron.
I cooked for 6 minutes on each side and then opened up to check how the cookie dough was cooking. It did need a few more minutes just to ensure the cookie dough was cooked through.
To serve, I simply added a couple of scoops of ice cream and drizzled some over chocolate sauce.
If you have a sweet tooth you will love this as it was incredibly sweet (maybe a bit too much for me)! It was great trying something different and I really do need to try to cook a few more desserts on the BBQ.
Marshmallow Stuffed Cookie Dough
- 300 g Cookie Dough
- Handful of mini-Marshmallows
- 2 scoops Vanilla Ice-cream
- Chocolate Sauce
- Heat your BBQ or the OONI and once it has come up to cooking heat, place the Sandwich Iron inside to heat up.
- In the meantime roll your cookie dough out into a single sheet. I aimed for a thickness of around 5mm. Once rolled slice in half.
- Remove the Sandwich Iron from the OONI or BBQ and open it up. Carefully lay each half of the cookie dough onto each half of the Sandwich Iron. Gently press down to shape the dough to the Sandwich Iron. Be careful as it will be hot!
- Next, sprinkle a handful of mini-marshmallows on the bottom section then close up the Sandwich Iron. There will be some excess dough so trim this off with a knife.
- Place in the OONI or BBQ and cook for 6 minutes on each side. Remove and check that the dough is properly cooked. If not put it back for a few more minutes. When it is ready, remove it from the OONI and open up the Sandwich Iron.
- Allow it just to sit for a couple of minutes, then remove and serve with ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.