Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, int given in /home/customer/www/love2bbq.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/disclosure-for-amazon-affiliate/index.php on line 274
I have some Amazon Affiliate links on the website where I earn a small amount of commission. I have tried to keep ads off the site and these Amazon links help pay for the upkeep of the website.
Portugal – It had to be Sardines!
A little predictable I know, but as one of the Formula 1 cooks, as the championship moves to Portugal, I had to cook Sardines. I love Sardines at the best of times, so didn’t really need an excuse to cook these again.
I have cooked Sardines on the BBQ a few times. Typically I will just season with some Olive Oil and a little salt. This recipe adds a slightly different flavour to the Sardines and one that will become the norm for me.
Preparation and Cook
I bought these Sardines from AO Seafoods. They came filleted, which I wasn’t concerned about either way, but kind of nice not having any bones in them at all. Having them filleted did mean I had to be a little more careful with them when they were cooking on the BBQ.
I marinated these for around 1 1/2 hours in the fridge. As the BBQ was coming up to cooking temperature, I removed the Sardines from the fridge. At this point, I prepared the Garlic Bread and finely sliced the Parsley.
Once the Char-broil 4600S was at cooking temperature, I simply cooked the Sardines for 3 minutes on each side and the Garlic Sourdough for 4 minutes each side.
Anytime I get the chance to eat Sardines I will. I don’t know if it is because of the memories I associate with them which is sitting abroad, glowing after a day in the sun, eating Sardines whilst glugging a cold glass or white wine.
I loved this recipe so much. It was much tastier than just doing the Sardines in Olive Oil and Salt and I have a feeling this is going to get repeated many times over the coming summer months. Next time with a glass of wine!!!
Portuguese Grilled Sardines
Portuguese Grilled Sardines
- 4 Sardines
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Rind of a Lemon
- ½ Juice of a Lemon
- 2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Parsley (finely diced)
- 2 slices Sourdough
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove (crushed)
- Start by mixing the Olive Oil, Smoked Paprika, Lemon Rind, Lemon Juice and Garlic Cloves in a bowl. Add the Sardines and cover them on both sides with the marinade then place them in the fridge for 1 to 1½ hours.
- Take them out of the fridge as you light your BBQ. As your BBQ is coming up to cooking temperature, prepare your Garlic Sourdough by mixing the butter and the crushed garlic and form into a paste. Then spread onto the Sourdough and place to one side.
- When your BBQ is ready to cook on, add the Sardines and Sourdough at the same time. Cook your Sardines for 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- With the Sourdough, place them on the grill butter-side up. Close the lid and you will find the butter starts to melt. After four minutes, turn the Sourdough over and cook for a further 4 minutes. The bread will get some lovely grill marks on them.
- Take the sardines and Sourdough off the grill and plate up. Lay your Sardines on the Sourdough (butter side up) and optionally sprinkle some salt over the Sardines. Finely top with your finely sliced Parsley!!!