Mussels on the BBQ
The first semi-final has arrived in the World Cup 2018, where we see Belgium take on France. In the World Cup of BBQ, the votes went to Belgium, so we are cooking Mussels with Frites (and of course with some mayo).
Mussels are a firm favourite of mine especially for lunch served with Sourdough. This recipe cooked on the BBQ adds a lovely smokiness to the mussels, which goes great with the sweetness of the honey.
I own the Weber Gourmet BBQ System (GBS), so I can cook this dish easily on the BBQ using the wok. If you don’t own the GBS you can use an ovenproof dish which will get you the same results. Just set your BBQ up for indirect cooking. I do it this way and add a wood chunk to infuse a bit more smokiness to the mussels as the cooking time is relatively short. I get my wood chunks from the Smokewood Shack. A great selection of wood and really quick delivery.
Now for the Cooking
The first thing to do is get your BBQ lit and the coals ready to cook on. Once you are ready to cook start by making your sauce for the mussels. This is just a case of adding the onions and garlic to the wok with a little butter. Once you have fried the onions off a bit add the white wine and white wine vinegar. Finally, stir in the honey and cook for 5-10 minutes with the other ingredients before adding the mussels.
When I initially add the mussels, give them a little stir, and drizzle some honey over them. Replace the lid on the BBQ to help get them infused with smoke. I tend to leave them for around 5 minutes and then give them a good stir making sure they all get covered in the lovely sauce. I repeat this until all the mussels have opened.
Just prior to serving add another drizzle of honey over the mussels but don’t stir them. I normally do this around 5 minutes before I take the mussels off the BBQ.
To serve I simply add to a bowl and cover with a good amount of the sauce. I served these with Frites and some mayonnaise on the side.
I also love to also slice some Sourdough and either toast it with some garlic butter or just serve it untoasted to dunk in the lovely sweet sauce.
Smokey Sweet BBQ Mussels with Frites
- 1 kg Mussels
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 30 g Butter
- 25 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 175 ml White Wine
- 75 ml Honey
- Start by lighting your BBQ and set it up for indirect cooking. Whilst the BBQ is coming up to cooking temperature clean your mussels by running them under cold water and pull the beards off.
- Once you are ready to cook add the butter to the wok and add the finely diced onion and cook for around 5 minutes. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Next, add the white wine vinegar and white wine and cook for around 5 minutes. Finally, add the honey, mix in well and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the mussels to the wok and give them a good stir around covering them with all that lovely sauce. This is where I cover them and let them cook, absorbing the smokiness from the wood chunks. Check on them every 5 minutes and give them a good stir around each time.
- Once the mussels open up they are ready to serve. As they start to open add another drizzle of honey over the mussels but don’t stir. Just let the honey ooze over the opening mussels.
- Once the mussels have opened, take off the BBQ and move into bowls. Spoon over the sauce and serve with frites.