Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, int given in /home/customer/www/love2bbq.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/disclosure-for-amazon-affiliate/index.php on line 274
I have some Amazon Affiliate links on the website where I earn a small amount of commission. I have tried to keep ads off the site and these Amazon links help pay for the upkeep of the website.
Love my kebabs and Skewers
For the F1 Grand Prix cook for the UK, I had planned to do Chicken Tikka Masala. This was going to be cooked on the Kadai Firebowl, but due to some bad weather, this cook turned into Tandoori Chicken Skewers. Not a bad substitute at all!
I absolutely love kebabs/skewers. I think with minimal effort and time you can create some amazing tasting food!
I usually follow the steps below to ensure I get a really good cook:
- Marinate the meat for at least 8 hours and preferably overnight – this is exactly what I did with this cook. In fact, they marinated for nearer 24 hours.
- Cook the kebabs using Russian Skewers. These have been such a great purchase!
- Do not overcook the meat. This can be difficult with kebabs but a combination of the marinade and aiming for a 15-minute cook usually does the trick.
Preparation and Cook
As with all my cooks, I took the marinating meat out of the fridge about an hour before I wanted to start cooking.
Next up was lighting the BBQ, with two zones. I just back the charcoal to one side and remove the grate, so don’t use baskets at all. Doing this really does make it easier to manage the cook. Thread the Chicken onto the Russian Skewers and then get cooking.
I cooked these directly for 16 minutes, rotating every 4 minutes. When I take them off I then wrap them in foil whilst I cook the pita.
I was a bit gutted not to be cooking the Chicken Tikka Masala but these Tandoori Chicken Skewers made up for it. The original plan was to cook them on a skewer and then finish in the masala sauce, so I was part of the way through. That cook will happen, but these Tandoori Chicken Skewers, were a little crispy on the outside, tender in the middle and packed some amazing flavour. Definitely a keeper!
Tandoori Chicken Skewers
- 4 Skinless and Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 5 cm Root Ginger (peeled and grated)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 4 tbsp Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Mirch (Chilli Powder)
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken thighs in a bowl. Dice the thighs and add to the marinate mixing well.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and marinate for a minimum of 8 hours.
- An hour before you want to cook take the marinating chicken out of the fridge and then prepare the BBQ.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skewer. If you have some food preparation gloves I would recommend them using them here. This is a messy job!!!
- Add to the direct area of the BBQ and then turn every 4 minutes. If the chicken looks like it is burning just move the skewer to the indirect area. The plan here is to cook for 16 minutes in total without burning the chicken.
- Remove from the BBQ and wrap in foil whilst you cook your pita or flatbread. You can cook the pitas directly on the BBQ which take 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.