Day 8: A Skewer Cook from the East
Day 8 of the World Cup of BBQ sees a cook from Japan. I absolutely love skewers / kebabs so this is probably a predictable one for me.
I don’t really know a great deal about Japanese cuisine and is something I should look into a little more. These Yakitori Chicken Skewers, used very few ingredients with the marinade mainly made up of Soy Sauce, Mirin and Rice Wine Vinegar.
Preparation and the Cook
When I cook any type of skewer that will be cooked on the BBQ, the meat (or veg) will get marinated. These Yakitori Chicken Skewers were no exception. After mixing the marinade ingredients, the chicken was marinated for 4 hours.
This was another cook on the Aldi Kamado. After lighting and bringing it up to the right temperature to cook on I skewered the chicken and spring onion. Once the BBQ was up to temperature I cooked the chicken for 16 minutes, turning every 4 and basting with the marinade on each turn.
As the chicken was cooking, I prepped the Green Beans with Orange Miso Sauce which was a perfect side for the Chicken Yakitori Skewers.
The final step was to plate the Chicken and Green Beans and sprinkle with Sesame Seeds.
I really don’t this you can beat meat or vegetables cooked on a skewer. With some marination and a really quick cook you can produce some stunning flavours and this definitely fell into that category. I loved this cook and it has encouraged me to look into Japanese cooking a little more.
I’m glad Japan have gone through to the knockout stages. Fingers crossed I get to do another cook for them.
Yakitori Chicken Skewers
- 4 Chicken Thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 100 ml Soy Sauce
- 100 ml Mirin
- 50 ml Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 4 Spring Onions (cut into 4-5cm pieces)
- Start by slicing your Chicken Thighs into 3cm chunks (rough measurements).
- Mix the Soy Sauce, Mirin and Rice Wine Vinegar together and then add the Chicken. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Remove the Chicken from the fridge and then add to the skewers with the Spring Onion. Make sure you keep the leftover marinade.
- To cook, get your BBQ to around 200°C and cook the Yakitori Chicken Skewers direct for 16 minutes, turning every 4 minutes. Each time you turn, give the skewers a good basting with the leftover marinade.
- When your Chicken is ready remove from the BBQ and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the Chicken and Spring Onion from the Skewers and plate up, giving the Chicken a sprinkle with Sesame seeds.